Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee - whose thoughts Todd can hear, too, whether he wants to or not - stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden - a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?
From Goodreads.






My husband recommended this book to me but it took me a while to get to it. I just couldn't get past the "poo Todd, poo" that my husband found very funny in the beginning of the book. It sounded very silly to me. My husband did try to tell me that it is a very serious book but then to hear him say that sentence again just didn't fit.
I have now read the book and yes, the first part with the dog Manchee and Todd seems quite funny but the rest of the book isn't.
It is a very fast-paced scary book with twists and turns that keep surprising you. I never expected much of what actually happened. I don't quite know how this can be a YA book as it is full of violence, brutal deaths and men being evil to each other.
I was gripped from around the second chapter and I will start the next book in the Chaos Walking series right away.

This book qualifies for: 
100 books in a year Reading Challenge 2012, 
Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge, 
2012 Ebook Challenge, 
2012 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge 

2 comments:

  1. This one was recommended to me by a fellow blogger who I trust she knows what type of books I like. I have this one on my kindle, just have to make the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a brilliant book but I find it scary. I will start the third and final book in the series within the next few days.

    ReplyDelete