Pass The Parcel Team Challenge hosted by Romance Readers Reading Challenges on Goodreads.
Pass The Parcel - Team Challenge
Start date - 7 February
Sign up - now through to 25 January 9pm US EST
Teams assigned by 26 January
This challenge is to encourage members to meet new friends and find new books.
Unleash your inner child and join us for Pass the Parcel.
those of you who didn't play this growing up, a 'parcel' is passed from
one person to another. ...When setting this game up, a prize (or
'gift') is wrapped in a large number of layers of wrapping paper.
Smaller prizes may be placed between some or all other layers of
During the game, music is played as the parcel is
passed around. Whoever is holding the parcel when the music stops
removes one layer of wrapping and claims any prize found under that
layer. The music is then restarted and the game continues until every
layer is removed and the main prize claimed.
Well here is the RRRC version of the game with a few more options and rules than we may remember from our childhood ;)
PLEASE READ EVERY LINE OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS
For this challenge we will have groups of 4 players. The group will nominate a team captain
who will track the completion of books for the group and ensure
compliance to the rules. Groups will be allocated out before the
reading starts. This will be done randomly by me :)
Members signing up need to be prepared to read roughly one book each week.
week a theme will be randomly selected from the list posted in msg 2.
This theme will be posted in the Discussion/Q&A thread between 6pm
and 9pm US EST each Friday.
Each member in the group has the following options:
1. Read a book that matches the theme (the parcel)
Select a book from the 'READ' list of a team-mate that they read in the
last 6 months AND that the team-mate rated at least 4 stars. (This
essentially passing on a recommendation ;)
3. 'Pass' on reading a book that week.
each team member can only select #3 once each 4 weeks. AND each team
may only have ONE person 'passing' for the round each week. It is up to
the team as to how they manage a 'pass'.
This challenge will
run for 9 weeks. The winning team is the one that completes the
challenge first; they win bragging rights :) No-one can use the 'pass'
option in the last week of the challenge.
* Each team member MUST post into their team thread each week or risk being removed from the challenge. It isn't fair on your team-mates if you are not committed to participant each week.
* '4 weeks' will be counted in blocks of four, with a new count starting in week 5.
* No-one can use the 'pass' option in the last week of the challenge.
To qualify for a theme, the book's eligibility must be apparent in the
title or precis, or must appear on another GR member's shelves
appropriately and transparently entitled. The source of the eligibility
must be specified at the time of the book selection.
* You can change your nominated book at any time.
* Books must be at least 100 pages in length.
* You must quote the page numbers for your selected book each week. Please quote the goodreads page numbers (any edition of the book is fine).
Important: If a team member falls behind by more than 2 books then they will be removed from the challenge.
The team who loses that member will continue with the lower number of
team-mates. This rule is to ensure that ALL participants are committed
to their team and the challenge.
These themes must be apparent in the title, the precis or must be shelved by a GR member using words that imply eligibility.
1. Royalty - in name or fact
2. Character from the corporate world (business man or woman; small business counts)
3. Set on a ranch/cattle property
4. Friends to lovers
5. Enemies to lovers
6. Book starting with the letter 'G'
7. Book set in the UK or Ireland
8. Book cover predominantly black (at least 50%)
9. Book has a theme of hurt/comfort/grieving
10. Read the first book of a new (to you) series.
11. Historical setting (in any period more than 50 years ago)
12. Main character is a musician
13. Book with less than 200 ratings (per GR)
Book on your TBR shelf for more than 12 months. If you don't have a
book that old on your TBR, select a book from one of the mods TBR
shelves (older than 12 months).
15. A book with children in the plot-line
16. Book with a tattoo on the cover
17. Main character wears a uniform
18. Book published for the first time in the last 6 months.
19. Book with at least 450 pages per GR
20. Book from the RRRC's shapeshifter shelf. This cannot come from any other location.
I am going to take part in this team challenge and my goal will be to read a book for the challenge all 9 weeks.
Week 1: 7. Book set in the UK or Ireland: The Highlander's Hope by Cali MacKay
Week 2: 2. Character from the corporate world: What Stays in Vegas by Beth Labonte
Week 3: 15. A book with children in the plot-line: Night of the Purple Moon by Scott Cramer
Week 4: 17. Main character wears a uniform: Two Weeks with a SEAL by Theresa Marguerite Hewitt
Week 5: 5. Enemies to lovers: Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
Week 6: 13. Book with less than 200 ratings (per GR): An Unlikely Match by Barbara Dunlop
Week 7: 11. Historical setting (in any period more than 50 years ago): The Inconvenient Duchess by Christine Merrill
Week 8: 18. Book published for the first time in the last 6 months: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs
Week 9: Book from the RRRC's shapeshifter shelf. This cannot come from any other location: Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews