Duration:January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
They're large. They're in charge. And they're calling your name. They are the big mommas of your TBR, the mountain more than the molehill - these busty babies have been waiting for you to crack them open and take a nice, long perusal of their contents. If you've been waiting and delaying your chunkster reading, this challenge is for you!
1. Definition of a Chunkster:
- A chunkster is 450 pages or more of fiction or nonfiction. A chunkster should be a challenge.
- If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more... The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.
[NOTE: if you read e-books, check the hardcover/paperback page count here on GR, it will give you the idea if the book counts]
If the book is ebook-only with NO PRINT EQUIVALENT. then the following rules apply:
1. For the ebook-only book, please check Amazon for its estimated page count. Usually underneath the description, there is a drop-down button (online-stores) for Get a copy. Select Amazon from that and it will lead you to the version on Amazon. Check the estimated page number there.
2. If no Amazon page count exists, THEN you can use GR page count and add 50 pages due to its unreliable reputation.
3. If no Amazon page count and GR page count exists, then the book cannot be used for this challenge.
Please ask any questions if you have any doubts. You can also post the book title in this thread if you have any trouble and I'll check for you.
2. The Rules:
- Audiobooks count.
- Re-reads are fine, as long as you don't skim or skip sections.
- Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
- Books may crossover with other challenges.
- You can join in anytime, but you have till the end of the year to read it all.
- You don't need to list your books ahead of time.
- Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level!
- When you post your updates, put page count by each chunkster.
- If you completed a level before the end of the year and you want to sign up again, you're more than welcome to do so.
3. You must pick a level of participation:
- The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who has a couple of large tomes on their TBR list, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. Three books is all you need to finish this challenge.
- Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - This option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 5 Chunksters over the remainder of the year.
- Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 8 chunksters OR 3 tomes of 800 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.
- Too Big To Ignore Anymore - this option is for those chunksters on your TBR list. You may select any number of books over 450 pages but you must LIST THEM ahead of time.
My goal will be: Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 8 chunksters OR 3 tomes of 800 pages or more.
As the duration of this challenge is all of 2014 I will do a second round. Same goal.
List of books round 1: (finished post on Goodreads)
- The Good, the Bad, and the Undead by Kim Harrison (453 pages)
- Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison (501 pages)
- A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison (528 pages)
- Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness (592 pages)
- One Sweet Moment by Maggie Craig (452 pages)
- For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison (512 pages)
- The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison (528 pages)
- Hotter Than Hell edited by Kim Harrison (491 pages)
- White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison (552 pages)
- Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison (487 pages)
- Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond by Kim Harrison (513 pages)
- Angel by L.A. Weatherly (507 pages)
- Dragonsblood by Todd J. McCaffrey (452 pages)
- The Secret History by Donna Tartt (629 pages)
- The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (490 pages)
- The Magician by Michael Scott (496 pages)