This challenge has now finished and my team came in on a shared second place. This was a fun challenge, thanks to Nothing but Reading Challenges on Goodreads for hosting it.
Winners of UNCOVER IT!
Team Points Ranking Arlecchino 540 1 Moretta 505 Equal 2nd Medico della Peste 505 Equal 2nd Volto 500 4 Pantalone 480 5 Bauta 405 6 Colombina 160 7
UNCOVER IT - A NBRC Team Challenge
Duration: Six weeks, starting May 16th - June 27th, 2014
Sign-Ups: Close May 12th, 2014. Thread is here.
As a player, you need to read at least a book a week. (Books read for this challenge need to be 160 pages or greater in length.)
• Each team is assigned a book to be “uncovered.” NOTE: You are NOT expected to read this book.
• Each week the teams ask a randomly selected team (their “opposing team”) one question OR they take a guess as to the identity of the other team’s book.
• Points are assigned each week based on choices made and books read (further explanation below).
• The “opposing team” changes each week (selected randomly).
• Winner is the team at the end of the 6 weeks that has the most points.
Books to be Uncovered.
Start of Challenge:
• Members are assigned to teams (probably 5-7 people per team including captain).
• Mods randomly assign the “uncover” book to each team.
• Mods will randomly determine for each team their “opposing team” for the week.
• Each team must select a genre they would give to the opposing team for a wrong guess (from the genre list used in Books Buffs’ Battleship*; each genre may only be used once by any team selecting throughout the challenge).
• Teams must ask a question of their opposing team for the week in a specified time period.
• NO SPOILER QUESTIONS (e.g. “Does the heroine die at the end?”). Please, no “open-ended” questions, only yes/no questions. In addition, you may NOT ask when it was BOM.
• Since all books have been past NBRC BOMs, there are discussion questions available for inspiration.
The genres are the same as used for Book Buffs’ Battleship challenge. In order for the book to be accepted it either have to have been tagged as the genre by more than 10 on Goodreads or the moderator for the challenge has to approve it.
Week 1: No = History ➜ I read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Week 2: Yes = Fantasy ➜ I read Along Came A Demon by Linda Welch (which was banked)
Week 3: special = Young Adult ➜ I read Prince of Hazel and Oak by John Lenahan
Week 4: Yes = Fantasy ➜ I read A Place Beyond The Map by Samuel Thews (which was banked)
Week 5: Yes =Thriller ➜ I read Wild Justice by Kelley Armstrong
Week 5: Extra ➜ I read Ever After by Kim Harrison (which was banked)
Week 6: No = Non Fiction ➜ I read Drifting Home by Pierre Berton
Week 6: Extra ➜ I read The Keepers by Donna Augustine (for New Adult)