Here's how it works:
- Should you choose to participate in this challenge, your goal is to read at least twelve (12) legally obtained FREE e-books. While twelve is the minimum there is no maximum limit.
- Anyone can join. You don’t have to be a blogger, and you don’t have to live in the United States.
- Any E-Reader will work for this challenge, including: iPad, Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony Reader, enTourage.
- Please Note: If you don’t have an e-reading device, you can still join in with Amazon’s Free Kindle Reading Apps which you can download for your iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC, Blackberry and more.
- The challenge runs from January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013. You can join at any time.
- e-books in ANY genre count for this challenge as long as it was FREE at the time that you downloaded it.
- Every month in 2013, I will make a post for the 2013 Why Buy the Cow? Reading Challenge so you can link your reviews. Based on participation, monthly link ups may be combined.
- If you have a blog, create a post announcing your participation in the challenge. Please include a link back to this post.
- Non bloggers: participate by linking up your profile URL from the site you plan to post your reviews on such as Goodreads, Shelfari, LibraryThing, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble.
- When you post your book review, you MUST reveal how you obtained the free & legal download. Please make your source clear. We do not condone piracy of any sort.
- You can list your books in advance or list them as you read them.
- Crossovers to other reading challenges is acceptable, but ARCs/galley e-books DO NOT count. Again, this is a Reading Challenge to read as many of the FREE e-books legally offered for your e-reader.
Coupon Clipper: 12 Books
Penny Pincher: 24 Books
Buying in Bulk: 36 Books
Super Saver: 50 Books
Extreme Couponer: 100+ Books
In 2012 I read 28 which is why this year I decided to set my goal at 24 books. Well I have had to upgrade twice and I have now completed this challenge as a Super Saver and read my book number 50, XBestia by Melissa Conway the 16th of October. Since then I have read another three free books.
I have decided to finish at this level as I am sure I won't be able to make it to 100 free books, but I will keep adding books the rest of the year to see how far I can make it.
If Reading the Paranormal and On a Book Bender decides to host this challenge again in 2014 I will definitely take part again. I will have a lower goal though as I have started reading more library books.
My list of books:
- De Novo Syndrome by Jim Buckner, David Mark Brown
- Dogs Don't Lie by Clea Simon
- Legend of the White Dragon: Legends by Melanie Nilles
- My Familiar Stranger by Victoria Danann
- Deadly Legacy by Alison Bruce
- Exclusively Yours by Shannon Stace
- Cross My Heart by Abigail Strom
- Become by Ali Cross
- Always the Designer, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker
- Old Before My Time: Hayley Okines' Life with Progeria by Hayley Okines, Kerry Okines, Alison Stokes
- Winging It! by Shel Delisle
- Winter's Passage by Julie Kagawa
- Stained by Ella James
- Lady of Devices by Shelley Adina
- Wise Follies by Grace Wynne-Jones
- Wait For Me by Elisabeth Naughton
- Goddess Legacy by M.W. Muse
- Amy's Story by D'Elen McClain
- Manhattan Grimoire by Sandy DeLuca
- Hollowland by Amanda Hocking
- Marked by Kim Richardson
- For a Good Time, Call... by Trish Jensen
- The Hunt by Joseph Williams
- Just Doll by Janice Daugharty
- The Light Within Me by Carly Fall
- Zombacter: Center City Contagion by Sean Bingham
- Waking Up Married by Mira Lyn Kelly
- Alone by Robert J. Crane
- Alice in Zombieland by Nickolas Cook
- The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen by Norah Wilson
- Origins by Kristen Middleton
- The Long Midnight Of Barney Thomson by Douglas Lindsay
- Amethyst by Heather Bowhay
- To Kill a Warlock by H.P. Mallory
- Witch Way Bends by Olivia Hardin
- Cursed by Casey Odell
- Frey by Melissa Wright
- Drowning Mermaids by Nadia Scrieva
- Eternal Vows by Chrissy Peebles
- Between the Land and the Sea by Derrolyn Anderson
- I Bring the Fire: Part I Wolves by C. Gockel
- Life of Pi by Yann Martel
- Dorothy: The Darker Side of Oz by Scott Stanford
- Everblue by Brenda Pandos
- One Glass Is Never Enough by Jane Wenham-Jones
- Dollhouse by Anya Allyn
- DRT by Eric Thomas
- Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory
- How (Not) to Kiss a Toad by Elizabeth A. Reeves
- XBestia by Melissa Conway
- Wyrd Girl by Jon Jacks
- Leopard Moon by Jeanette Battista
- Playing for Time by Barbara Bretton
- Winter Warmers by Carole Matthews
- While Snowbound by Anna J. McIntyre
- All I Want for Christmas is You by Lisa Mondello
- A Cowboy For Christmas by Kristen James
- The Santa Shop by Tim Greaton