Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey

HOW CAN ONE GIRL SAVE AN ENTIRE WORLD?
Lessa seems nothing but a ragged kitchen girl. For most of her life she has survived by serving those who betrayed her family and took over their lands. Now the time has come for Lessa to shed her disguise—and take back her stolen birthright.
But everything changes when she meets a queen dragon. The bond they share will be deep and last forever. It will protect them when, for the first time in centuries, Lessa’s world is threatened by Thread, an evil substance that falls like rain and destroys everything it touches. Dragons and their Riders once protected the planet from Thread, but there are very few of them left these days. Now brave Lessa must risk her life, and the life of her beloved dragon, to save her beautiful world... From Goodreads.

I was introduced to the Pern series about 4 years ago and I think I bought most of them (only the ones written by Anne McCaffrey alone) as fast as I could get them delivered. I am now reading some of them again for  All the Books of Pern Challenge 2012
I enjoyed reading it again and find it a very interesting story. I like Lessa who is quite a strong woman but by no means a saint as she with her power has hurt a lot of people in order to get her revenge. It is a patriarchal society and women are treated badly to say the least but there are some women who are very strong in their own way.

This book qualifies for:  
100 books in a year Reading Challenge 2012, 
Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge, 
2012 Ebook Challenge
All the Books of Pern Challenge 2012

5 comments:

  1. I love this series. I have been reading Anne McCaffrey's books since I was in high school in the late 70s. If it weren't for the fact I have too many books on my TBR, I'd re-read mine also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Susan. My problem with series like this that I really like is that I just can't seem to stop myself reading. After finishing Dragonflight yesterday I decided to start Dragonquest right away. I read far in to the night and continued this morning till I actually finished the book a short time ago. I better do a few of the jobs I was supposed to do this morning before starting The White Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unrelated question: Where did you find your book rating scale, and how do you do it on your page? I want to do ratings on mine, but I can't figure out how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unrelated questions are very welcome :-)
    I can't figure things like that out either but I am lucky to have a husband that can. He made mine for me after I said what I wanted. As I live in the very north of Greenland approximately 1390km/ 864 miles from the North Pole and polar bears have been seen in our village that is the reason I chose them for my rating scale.

    I think he made the pictures in Photoshop. One for each rating and I just add it as I add any other picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks :-) Talented husbands are wonderful, aren't they? Maybe I'll get mine to help me... Now I need to figure out what graphic I want to use :-)

    ReplyDelete